Saturday, November 3, 2012

Week 1, Location 1: 645 Grapevine Hwy, Hurst, TX

The blue X is where my wife was standing.  The red X is me.


A little later on I made my way down to the nearest intersection at Norwood Dr.



"I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower."  - Psalm 18:1-2


Time:  3:45 - 4:45 pm


Main Happenings:

1) some honks of approval in the traffic (you can tell they were approvals)
2) a man rolled down his window and said, "Good job brother!" and gave a thumbs up
3) a man looked at my wife's sign and just shook his head with disgust


Wow...  day 1 of holding our gospel signs.  Grapevine Hwy...this was the exact place where my wife saw the man in a business suit, standing in the rain, holding a sign that read, "Need job, please."  So to begin this journey I wanted to go to that same place...but hold our gospel signs instead.

To start we both stood along the road closest to Tom Thumb.  My wife held the Romans 6:23 sign:


And I held the other two, alternating at times:













As the bulk of the traffic came our way, we faced that side of the traffic.  As the bulk of the traffic came on the other side of the highway, we faced that side of the traffic. Later I crossed the highway to be on the opposite side to hold my sign.  My wife said she saw many people slowing down to read the signs. We got a few honks from people.  I was also waving at all the cars - I mean after all, we're not raving mad, hell-fire and brimstone lunatics  - we're just normal folks holding gospel signs.

About a half hour into it I decided to walk down to the intersection of Grapevine Hwy and Norwood Dr., a block or so down at the stoplight. That's where the people could read the sign the most, waiting at the stoplight!  And there I was holding my sign and waving at everybody. Again, I got a few more honks of approval and a few thumbs up.  But 99% of the people just drove right on past and didn't really notice as far as I could tell.  One man did roll down his window in the middle while waiting at the stoplight and said something like, "Good job brother!!"  And I said, "My wife is just down the highway on the right!"

It was time to go.  We decided to only be out there for about an hour.  As I caught up to my wife, she said that one man, while pulling out of the Tom Thumb onto the highway, read her sign, looked at my wife and just shook his head in disgust, with the unspoken action of, "I can't believe you're out here...how sad."  But my wife didn't care.  She said she wanted Christ to be magnified and for her to become less important.

No comments:

Post a Comment